Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit and the door which gives access to the other Sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God and daughters. We become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water and in the word." CCC. # 1213
Infant baptisms are celebrated on designated Saturdays throughout the year twice a month. Procedures for scheduling Baptism are:
- Register in the parish if not already a member.
- Call the parish office to schedule the baptism.
- Both parents are expected to attend the parent preparation session. (First Sunday of the month)
- Baptisms will be celebrated twice a month at 12:00 pm.
Contact Deacon Cesar at:
Phone: (201) 434-8500
"At the Last Supper, on the night he was betrayed, our Savior instituted the Eucharistic sacrifice of his Body and Blood. This he did in order to perpetuate the sacrifice of the cross throughout the ages until he should come again, and so to entrust to his beloved Spouse, the Church, a memorial of his death and resurrection: a sacrament of love, a sign of unity and a bond of charity.” C.C.C. 1323.
Holy Eucharist is celebrated daily in our parish and First Communion is generally celebrated in the second grade.
Requirements for First Eucharist candidacy:
Candidates should registered parishioners.
- Candidates should have completed two consecutive years of religious instruction in the parish.
- Catechetical program or 3 Sessions if they are in a Catholic school.
- Candidates should know basic prayers (The Sign of the Cross, The Lord’s Prayer, The Hail Mary, Etc).
- Candidates and parents should attend and participate in our parish Sunday liturgy .1st Communion will be celebrated in May.
Parents attend meetings for preparation
Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults
The R.C.I.A. Program refers to the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. It is designed to welcome adults into our Catholic faith. Preparation is a year-long ongoing process culminating at the Easter Vigil Mass. The goal is to receive the Sacraments of Baptism (for non-Christians), Confirmation and Holy Eucharist.
Do you know someone or are you someone who is interested in becoming Catholic or is a Catholic but has not yet received all of the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist)?
- Non-baptized adults who wish to enter the Catholic Church Baptized adult Christians of another denomination (i.e. Lutheran, Anglican, Presbyterian) who wish be received continue their Catholic Church.
- Adult baptized Catholics who have not completed the Sacraments of Initiation (Holy Communion and/or Confirmation) and wish to do so.
Our parish will be offering this program starting September. Call or stop by our office and get the RCIA form. We will be happy to assist you.
Contact Rene Tolentino at:
Phone: (201) 434 8500
Confirmation seals our Baptism and confirms our commitment both to the Church and to the work of Jesus Christ in the world. The age for Confirmation varies throughout the Archdiocese of Newark. At St. Mary’s Confirmation is celebrated in the 8th Grade.
Confirmation will be celebrated in Spring.
Requirements for Confirmation candidacy:
- Candidates must be in the 8th. Grades or higher.
- Candidates are registered parishioners.
- Candidates have had continuous and sequential catechesis in a parish.
- Catechetical program or Catholic elementary school.
- Candidates attend Sunday Liturgy regularly.
Contact Brenda Santana, the Director of the Religious Education Program and start getting ready for this wonderful sacrament at:
Annointing Of The Sick
The Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick celebrates and reminds us of God’s compassion and helps us to experience the spiritual and sometimes physical strengthening needed when we are ill. The Sacrament is available on an individual basis for anyone preparing for surgery or suffering any chronic illness.
A request to receive this Sacrament may be made by calling or visiting at the Parish Office. The Sacrament may be administered at the church or in an individual’s home or hospital.
A Mass of Anointing will be offered once a year in church close to the Feast day of Our Lady of Lourdes.
Reconciliation celebrates and reminds us of God’s mercy and helps us to experience divine forgiveness, to forgive ourselves and to become reconciled with others.
The Sacrament of Reconciliation is celebrated weekly each Saturday afternoon 4:00 - 5:00 pm.
Matrimony is the sacred union of a husband and wife in marriage for a lifetime of dedication to one another’s spiritual growth and well-being and also of their children. Couples requesting to be married at St. Mary’s must contact the Parish Office one year in advance of the desired wedding date.
One member of the couple should be an active member of the Catholic Church and both need to be canonically free from any previous marital unions. In discussion with the priest or Deacon whom they choose to witness their ceremony, they will work out an appropriate schedule of preparations.
- Natural Family Planning Seminar.
Contact Parish Office at (201)434-8500